Thursday, July 07, 2005

Safe

My friends and I are staying at a hotel on the outskirts of central London. Shortly after breakfast this morning, we learned that there had been an explosion at Liverpool station in the underground tube system. At first they thought it may have been an electrical problem, but several other explosions occured at other tube stations and a bus. At that point it was obvious that a terrorist attack was in progress. My friends and I are well. I've only left the hotel today to pick up some lunch at Marks & Spencers. There's a strange, anesthesizing calm among most of the people that I've interacted with today. A woman in her early 80's who survived the London blitz is stuck at our hotel today. My friend, Emily, and I have spent the past hour or two talking with her about various life experiences. She says that people of her generation are used to this sort of thing because of what they went through in the war.

At this point, we are still planning on leaving London on the 10th for Cambridge.

I hope everyone is well at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home