Sunday, July 24, 2005

And the next day...

This morning, we went to Tramway Village in Derbyshire, just on the edge of the Peak District. This part of the Peak District looked remarkably like western North Carolina near Asheville and Cashiers, which is appropriate as my boyfriend is visiting that part of N.C. this week (Hello Jay and the H family!). Today was very cold and damp. We walked around the Tramway Village, which is on the site of an old quarry. The entire park is devoted to Trams. They've tried to recreate what a village in the late nineteenth century would have looked like, at least the parts of a Village that would have been exposed to tram routes. The place consisted of trams, trams, and more trams. There was also a crazy fair organ from the 1890s that had creepy lacquered statues that moved in time with the music. There were two high points to my visit to Tramway Village: The first occured while I was taking tea and sandwiches with Emily around 11:30. I caught a bit of conversation from the group of middle aged English men at the next table:

First bloke: "You don't see many midgets around these days, do you?"

Second bloke: "No, you're right. You don't see many midgets around. Why is that, do you think?"

The second highpoint occured when Emily and I took the tram to the far end of the park. We caught a breathtaking view of the countryside on our way there. We took the woodland walk on the way back, and eventually ended up on this ridge overlooking the same valley. We had it all to ourselves, and it was gorgeous! As a bonus, the scenery was obliging enough to remain stationary this time while I took a picture, something it refused to do while I was sitting in the tram.

We spent the rest of the afternoon at an early industrial mill (the name of which I have already blocked out). The afternoon was gray, cold, and rainy. People whined a lot, and the tour was remarkably dull. I am very happy to be back at St. Catherine's. I'm going to spend the rest of the evening doing early research for my second paper, and then try to figure out what I want to do in Ireland this upcoming weekend.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home